Thursday, March 17, 2011

Vein therapy--a laser show inside your legs.


I have six different laser treatments scheduled for six different veins. These are all the deeper veins. They fix that before they move on to the cute veins that look like bulging road maps all over your legs. Here's how it's done....basically, I take some Valium before going to the doctor to loosen me up. Then because I'm all drugged up, I locate myself a driver. Once I'm at my appointment and in "my happy place" the doctor shows up. I thought the Valium would make him magically become Dr. McDreamy, but it doesn't. But none the less, he is a nice man with a great staff and a great bedside manner. And he is tan year round which makes me jealous.

My favorite part--they make a small incision and then they thread a catheter up your vein. One time they shoved a catheter up my leg. That unfortunate time, I was still "with it" enough to text Robb and tell him I was in tears, so he brought me a treat--cookies from Paradise Bakery. YUM! Back to the story....Once the catheter is in place they begin injecting your leg every few inches. Can I just say--shots on the back of the legs, (knee area) hurt like the dickens. Once you are all numbed up, you overhear the doctor tell the nurse to crank the laser on to some high absurd number and you are wondering if that is in fahrenheit degrees and if it is--check please? At this point, it's too late to run. Plus your leg is numb, so it won't do you much good anyway. Then the best part. The good doctor says to you....you are going to have a weird taste in your mouth. And then it happens. You actually taste yourself burning from the inside out. And then you smell it, and try to make some wise crack about yesterday's barbecue. I'm sure the Doctor has heard it all.

After all that is done--you are ordered to 45 minutes of walking. Luckily Super Target is close by. When Robb drops me off at Super Target, I try to escape the car before he reminds me to take it easy and that these twice a week shopping trips are putting a huge hole in our budget.

And then post operation--you get to wear sexy support hose for one week straight. The first two days you can't even take them off to shower. After that, you have a little more freedom.

I feel blessed that technology has come so far. When I think of the barbaric way my poor mom had her legs treated my legs ache. While some things are a minor inconvenience, it's nothing compared to what they did years ago. It makes me happy to know that there are people out there working hard and using their smarts to invent new concepts.

Back to the shopping--I scored a sweet area rug for $50. Regularly $300. Unfortunately, I'm unable to lift, so Robb had to go haul it out for me. That Robb, he is a good man :)

Sadly, Target doesn't carry these. I could use the green ones on a day like this.

2 comments:

Monica said...

After being witness to the troubles you have had with your legs, I am so glad you are finally getting them "fixed". Because it is a magical fix right, no problems again, ever? I especially like the doctor ordered shopping at Super Target.
BTW, I think I need Hailey to fix my blog, it is an equal mess.

Marilee said...

WOW,,, Sorry Liss for all the vein problems. No. Fun. Let me know if you need anything... :)