Friday, April 9, 2010

When it comes to your kids....how soon is too soon to panic?

Yesterday, Gracie didn't make it home from school. My heart sank and worry kicked in when I asked the crossing guard if she'd seen her (our crossing guard knows every child and their accompanying birthmarks--did you see the post about her in 2009?) If you know Gracie, this is very UN-typical of her. I immediately started texting Robb (at 3:40,) sent the girls to the elementary school: one searching the playground, the other to the office and one headed for the class room. I called my sister in-law crossing my fingers that Gracie uncharacteristically hopped on the bus and rode home with Maggie. No such luck. I called my friend to see if her girls saw her walking home on "the path" no luck there either. I called the school secretary and while I was on the phone with her I'm asking myself--at what point do I call 911? Only ten minutes have passed--are they going to laugh at me? But seriously, this girl is like clock work. Something isn't right. Finally--I'm on the verge of tears and having a MAJOR anxiety attack, Haley is in the school office crying and Ashley and Emily are texting me frequently asking if there is any sign of her and then-- I get a text from Robb. Apparently, Gracie had called him right after school and asked permission to go home with a friend. He granted it. Unfortunately, before he could let me know--his cell phone went out of service. So 15 minutes of shear panic! Like I am going to throw up panic. There is nothing worse than thinking one of your kids have gone missing. So answer me this--how soon, is too soon to panic??



Needless to say, Robb felt so bad for all of the stress he caused us (even though it was out of his control) he brought home ice cream.

3 comments:

haley hoch said...

That scared me too death :/ i love her so much!

Amber said...

Never too soon to panic especially with such a cute sweet girl. How scary.

Kati said...

I agree with Amber, it is never to soon to panic! I have had moments like that and it is the worst! Glad she was safe and you got icecream to boot!