Inspired by my friend, Shawn Haught, I compiled a list of fifty fun facts about everyone's li'l buddy. However, eight of the items are fabrications. The first person to correctly guess seven (out of eight) will receive a $20 gift certificate to the restaurant of their choice. The offer ends Friday, August 22; at that time, I unveil the fabrications. (As of 8/11, eight readers have responded with guesses).
1) In 1992, motivated by a college health class, I began a running regimen. A year later, I ran in a half marathon.
2) When I was eight, my pet turtle latched onto my lower lip, drawing blood and leaving a scar. The turtle mysteriously died a short time later.
3) I have wandered the streets of Paris, France, by myself, in the middle of the night.
4) One of my daughters sang a vocal solo for 25,000 people.
5) I took private voice lessons from the guy who played Rolf (“I am seventeen, going on eighteen”) in The Sound of Music—the one starring Julie Andrews.
6) I flew a Cessna plane (single engine, two seat) at age 13.
7) One of my missionary companions begged the actor, Bill Murray, to autograph his Book of Mormon. It reads, “Cougars rule, Bill Murray.”
8) I have never broken a bone.
9) I am named after a king of Scotland.
10) I have never tasted alcohol, cigarettes, or illegal drugs.
11) I won $200 at the California State Fair, singing “Hey, It’s Good To Be Back Home Again” (by John Denver).
12) I repeatedly kissed the widow of Anwar Sadat—the Egyptian president assassinated in 1981.
13) I have been swimming in Lake Interlaken, Switzerland.
14) Several years ago, in anger, I shoved a seminary student. My Area Director made me write a letter of apology to the student and his parents.
15) I played the organ in the Tabernacle on Temple Square.
16) While in England, I spent the night in a hotel (hostel) in a room with six beds occupied by five women and me.
17) The night before I went into the Missionary Training Center, I barely escaped getting beaten up by thugs and arrested by police.
18) I went on a date to a Karoake bar in Fukuoka, Japan. I did not consume any adult beverages (see #10).
19) My friend went to a Utah Jazz game and sat in John Huntsman’s box with President Thomas S. Monson and David Archuleta.
20) The scar next to my left eye occurred when, after Primary, I chased a girl I liked and ran into a wall.
21) While conducting an assembly as Pocatello High School student body president, I tripped down some stairs and fell to the ground. I jumped up and raised my arms as if I had just finished a gymnastics routine.
22) I have played piano duets with Elder Neal A. Maxwell and Senator Orrin Hatch.
23) At the beginning of my sophomore year, I didn’t know a single person at my high school.
24) I had a dream that I would serve a mission to Scotland and was disappointed when I got called to Virginia.
25) I once stood next to an Apostle in a public restroom and got “stage fright.”
26) I taught piano to three BYU football players.
27) In college, I assembled baby pacifiers for the Suga (Norwegian for “suck”) Company.
28) I spent a few minutes with President Gordon B. Hinckley talking about, among other subjects, BYU football.
29) I have killed rabbits.
30) As an Especially For Youth speaker, I travelled to an Eastern city, checked into a hotel late, and climbed into bed exhausted. The bed was wet. I demanded another room.
31) Melissa is pregnant with our seventh child--a clever way to announce this, don’t you think?
32) A girl I contemplated proposing marriage to died of cancer.
33) My parents have a picture of them standing next to penguins on Antarctica.
34) My life goals include becoming a member of the Mormon Tabernacle Choir.
35) While on my mission to Virginia, I taught several missionary discussions to the current governor, Tim Kaine.
36) While in high school, I performed a piano concerto with a symphony.
37) One of my brothers and I were genies in a production of Mozart’s opera “The Magic Flute.” We had to wear tights. I have never fully recovered.
38) I was baptized in an Olympic-sized swimming pool at a facility known as “The Mormon Center” in Fair Oaks, California.
39) A few years ago, three of my daughters read the entire Book of Mormon together.
40) Every Christmas, I wear a red and white striped nightgown given to me by my high school sweetheart. Melissa isn’t happy about it.
41) Immediately following the blessing of one of my children in sacrament meeting, a woman in the congregation made a scene, claiming I hadn’t used the right phrasing. I was sure I had, but in order to a further scene, I re-blessed my child.
42) As a senior in high school, I won a male “beauty pageant” and was crowned Mr. PHS.
43) I regularly wear a “New Kids On The Block” t-shirt.
44) While fighting in junior high, I broke my opponent’s arm. A week later, I won the first Children’s Peace Prize (which included a $1000 prize).
45) I ran for Freshman Treasurer in high school. When I got up to give my speech (without notes), I completely blanked and stood there speechless, never completely recovering. I vividly recall my brother in the crowd laughing at me.
46) I have been hot air ballooning and parasailing.
47) For several summers, I worked at Farmer Bob’s Pumpkin Patch for $1 an hour.
48) I once read the entire Book of Mormon in a day (24 hours).
49) During my junior and senior years of high school, I drove 180 miles (round trip) for each piano lesson.
50) While jogging in the countryside of Omuta, Japan, I yelled “Con Bong Wa!” at everyone I encountered along the way.
6 comments:
My guesses are, in no particular order: #12, 14, 27, 31, and 40. Interesting things you have here....stage fright, huh? Well....see ya later.
let those good times roll on and on... i'll get back with ya on the fabrications! what a hoot...;)
Here is my best guess. #1,6,12,14,17,22,27 & 31.
With Robb, you never really know what to think, but I will guess #'s 31,14,24,27,34,and 40.
great stuff! Janalee
I can't come up with 7... Robb, you are a pretty good liar...this scares me... was Fast and Friendly really the name of car you drove years ago, or is it merely a figment of my imagination placed in my head by my cunning brother in law? my 6 guesses are 27, 31, 40, 41, 43, and 45... and I'm probably very wrong. =D
I think the following are BS:
1, 14, 15, 21, 31, 35, 38, & 48
Please send my prize to:
CBIP
Attn: Bo
1 Waikiki Blvd
Waikiki, HI
Rob was my best customer ever! I know him cuz I served him.
Post a Comment